LIVE IN NORTH EDMONTON
Wellington was named after Arthur Wellesley (1769-1852) who was the first Duke of Wellington and led the British victory over Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo. Wellington Park, as the area was once known, has been the name for the neighbourhood since 1910. In 2008 Wellington Community Center will celebrate its 50 year anniversary. The neighbourhood is bounded on the north by 137 Avenue, on the east by 127 Street, and on the south by 132 Avenue. The western boundary is one half block west of 141 Street.
There are many mature beautiful parks in the neighbourhood. The neighbourhood was developed after World War II with approximately two out of three (66.8%) of residences built between 1946 and 1960. Another one in four residences (25.0%) was built during the 1960s. Development was substantially complete by 1970.
There are three schools in the neighbourhood. McArthur Elementary School is operated by the Edmonton Public School System while St. Angela Catholic Elementary School and Sir John Thompson Catholic Junior High School.
Like other neighbourhoods of its period, Wellington’s design is based on a central school and park site that anchors the community. Interior streets are designed on a modified grid network to reduce shortcutting through the neighbourhood and provide residents with quiet local streets.
- McArthur School
- St Angela Catholic School
- Sir John Thompson Catholic School
- Athlone School
- Tutti Frutti breakfast & lunch
- Thai Express
- Tim Hortons
- Real Canadian Superstore
- Costco Wholesale
Things to do:
- Fun Park Amusement Center
- Wellington Park
- Bronx Bowl
- Jump 360 Edmonton (Trampoline Park)