LIVE IN NORTH WEST EDMONTON
The neighbourhood of Sherbrooke was likely named after Sherbrooke, Quebec, which itself was named after Sir John Coape Sherbrooke (1763-1811) who was the lieutenant-governor of Nova Scotia in 1811 and the governor-in-chief of British North America in 1816.
The neighborhood is bounded on the north by the Yellowhead Trail, on the east by 127 Street, on the south by 118 Avenue, and on the west by St. Albert Trail; to the east, 118 Avenue turns into Kingway Avenue. On this route one can access shopping at Kingsway Mall, health services at the Royal Alexandra Hospital, and shopping and services in the downtown core. Travel south along St. Albert Trail provinces access to shopping at Westmount Centre and to destinations on the south side including the University of Alberta and Whyte Avenue.
While a small amount of residential development occurred before the end of the Second World War, most residential development in the neighbourhood occurred between 1946 and 1960. It was during this period that 66% of all residences were constructed.
The most common type of residence in Sherbrooke is the single-family dwelling. These account for 73% of all residences in the neighbourhood. The street and laneway pattern is a more efficient use of land than the traditional grid pattern. The streets and walkways focus on school and community league sites. Apartment buildings, located along 118 Avenue, are adjacent to a major traffic and public transit route. Although these design features seem commonplace today, Sherbrooke in the 1950s was cited by the American Society of Planning Officials as a model of good subdivision design.
CBI Health Centre
Sherbrooke Liquor Store