LIVE IN NORTH EAST EDMONTON
Rundle Heights was named after Robert Terril Rundle, a Methodist missionary from Cornwall who travelled throughout Canada in the 1840s. He built a small chapel in Fort Edmonton in 1841, a replica of which can be seen at Fort Edmonton Park. Lying to the east of the former town of Beverly, Rundle Heights was not part of the city until its annexation in 1861.
Bounded on the north by 118 Avenue, to the west by 34 Street (north of 111 Avenue) and 36 Street (south of 111 Avenue) and by the river valley to the south and east Rundle Heights is beautifully located.
Much of Rundle Heights was at one time owned by a Dutch immigrant family called the Prins, who used the land as both pasture and for the mining of coal. The Prins’ strip-mine was unable to turn a profit however, and the City of Edmonton purchased the land for use as a landfill.
As with much of the land around Beverly, coal was widely mined in the area until the 1950s and at different times there were up to three separate mines in the Rundle Heights area.
The Prins’ farm was subdivided in 1966, and a few years later the landfill was cleaned and turned into Rundle Park.
Surrounding neighbourhoods are Abbottsfield to the north, Beacon Heights to the north west, and Beverly Heights to the west.
St Jerome Catholic School
RJ Scott School
Shoppers Drug Mart