LIVE IN SOUTH EDMONTON
Royal Gardens was probably named for Joseph Royal, governor of the Northwest Territories from 1888 to 1893. It is bounded on the north by Whitemud Drive, on the east by 111 Avenue, on the south by 40 Avenue, and on the west by 119 Street/121 Street.
Nearby access to Whitemud Drive means easy east/west commuting through south Edmonton and provides access to the commercial amenities of Southgate Centre, and its transit hub.
The LRT access at Southgate station makes for easy commuting to the downtown core or University of Alberta. According to the City of Edmonton profile of the neighborhood, it has been informally called Royal Gardens since at least 1912, but was only officially named that in 1962.
Development of the area began in the 1960s and continued through the 1970s; almost 90% of current structures date to before 1980
Royal Gardens is a mix of many different housing types; single-detached homes are dominant (around 40% of all units) but there are also many low-rise apartments and row houses, with a few apartments over five storeys, and some semi-detached homes as well.
55% of units are owner-occupied, and over half of Royal Gardens’ residents have lived there for more than 5 years.
Louis St Laurent School
Harry Ainlay School
Richard Secord School
St Boniface School
Aspen Pizza and Donair