LIVE IN NORTH EAST EDMONTON
City of Edmonton developers had plans for Newton before it was even properly incorporated into the city of Edmonton. It was actually annexed in two halves: the north half was absorbed in 1912 and the south followed a year later. Newton shares its namesake with Canon Ridge: the Reverend Canon William Newton who settled the area in 1875 and built its first school and hospital. Newton was originally located at the very outskirts of town until the annexation of the Town of Beverly in 1961. Regardless, the bulk of Newton’s development occurred from 1945 to 1960.
Although development started early, it continued for decades at a snail’s pace; this means that Newton has residential properties that were built before World War Two, and also areas that were just developed in the past 15 years.
Newton is bounded on the south by Alberta (118) Avenue, on the north by the Yellowhead Trail, on the east by 50 Street, and on the west by 58 Street. Rich in culture, Alberta Avenue is quickly becoming a haven for emerging artists and the area has undergone significant redevelopment in the past few years.
The nearby Coliseum station offers LRT access to the rest of Edmonton quickly and conveniently.
Newton Elementary School
St Leo Catholic School
Portugese Canadian Bakery
Take Five Restaurant