Carlton

LIVE IN NORTH WEST EDMONTON

This neighbourhood is named after Fort Carlton. Following in the naming convention for the Palisades area, all neighbourhoods are named after fur trade forts, posts or houses. Fort Carlton, located near the junction of the North and South Saskatchewan Rivers, was established by the Hudson Bay Company fur trade and provision post in 1798. The strategic location of Fort Carlton made it a focal point for trade and commerce in the west.

Carlton is located in the northwest corner of residential Edmonton. Carlton is bound on the north by 167th Avenue, on the east by the Oxford neighbourhood at 133rd Street, on the south by the Cumberland neighbourhood at 153rd Avenue, and on the west at 142nd Street / railway line. Prior to residential development the area was used primarily for agricultural cultivation, and the southern portion of the neighbourhood was used for industrial purposes in the late 1970s. While a handful of residences were constructed in the 1990s, the bulk of construction started in the early 2000s and much of the neighbourhood still remains to be developed as of 2008.

The neighborhood is served educationally by Elizabeth Finch Elementary Junior High School.

 

Designated Schools:

  • Elizabeth Finch School
  • Ross Sheppard School

Restaurants:

  • Original Joe’s
  • IHOP
  • Browns Socialhouse

Shopping:

  • Save on foods
  • Sobeys
  • Real Canadian Superstore

Things to do:

  • TELUS World of Science
  • Carlton Lake

 

 

 

 
 

Link to Carlton community league