Canora

LIVE IN WEST-EDMONTON The name “Canora” was taken from the first two letters of the words “Canadian Northern Railway”. It was the winning entry in a 1948 contest to name a school being built. (It also happens that the village of Canora, Saskatchewan was named in the same way in 1905). The school building was originially found in the malet of West Jasper Place. As it grew rapidly into a village, the name was changed to Jasper Place and it became a town within 14 months of the school’s opening in 1949. The surrounding neighbourhood was soon called Canora. It officially became a part of Edmonton in 1964 when the Town of Jasper Place was amalgamated with the city.  Bounded by 107 Ave to the north, 156 St to the west, Stony Plain Road to the south, and 149 Street to the east, residents will find it easy to access other areas of Edmonton. You’ll find the Canora Community league with a community hall, outdoor rink and tennis court at 152 Street & 104 Avenue.  In the 1970s a neighborhood improvement program took place which has provided residents with well-developed parks, schools, and community facilities. 

Amenities: 

Schools: 

  • Brightview School (K – 6)
  • Britannia School (7 – 9)
  • Ross Shepard School (10 – 12)
  • Our Lady of Peace Catholic Elementary School (K – 6)
  •  St. Mark Catholic Junior High (7 – 9)
  • St. Joseph Catholic High School (10 – 12)
For more information on schools please go to Edmonton Public Schools or Edmonton Catholic Schools.  

Shopping Nearby: 

  • Mayfield Common
  • Westmount Shopping Centre
  • West Edmonton Mall

Other nearby amenities: 

  • Misericordia Hospital
  • Glenora Outdoor Skating Rinks
  • Grovenor Skate Park
  • Mayfield Park
  • Mackinnon Ravine Park
   

Canora Community League